One problem I had was that I couldn't get it to connect to my wireless. Reading an FAQ, it said I had to set it up first (i.e. connect with an account) before it would connect to a wireless network (which seemed a bit strange as I wasn't home when I got it). Looking into it, their website had an installer for Windows (unhelpfully labelled "PC") and one for Mac. Not particularly helpful if I am running Ubuntu...
I first emailed them asking about it (and whether it was worth installing the software as I had connected via USB, and Ubuntu had recognised it as an external USB drive and allowed me to add files accordingly). I got a reply just saying what the software did (which was somewhat helpful as I didn't know completely), but did not mention getting an installer for Linux. I have emailed them back being more specific (today), and will update if I get a reply, but had since found out about the requirement to set it up to use a wireless network, so decided to have a go at installing it anyway.
I already had WINE installed from trying to get other things to work (Magic Online and a driver for a USB Network hub - neither worked), so used that to run the installation software (I had to do this a few times as I have forgotten where things are installed to in WINE, so couldn't find something that had been installed, but it seemed to work OK each time I re-installed it to run the program).
The program installed fine, I only had problems getting it to recognise the attached eReader. The first issue that I had was that it did not recognise that I had it plugged in (step 1 of 3 of the set up process). Checking on the WINE comparability website, there was a comment saying that it had to be set as a Floppy Disk as oppose to Automatically Detect. This was a little vague, so I will hopefully explain it in more detail here.
This has to be set up before running the software. In WINE Configuration, there is a tab for Drivers:
To allow for connecting to the eReader, the following has to be done before running the set up program:
1) Connect eReader via USB cable - Linux should automatically detect this as a drive and allow you to add files to it (which is fine in itself if you want to add your own eBooks or other files).
2) Add a new Drive Mapping - I added "D" but I guess this could be any letter. As mentioned in the WINE Compatibility website, this should be set to Type: Floppy Disk (this is under the "Show Advanced" options). The path to this should be the eReader, for me it was /media/KOBOeReader - remember that I had the device connected at this point.
3) Run the installer/set up program - the drive mapping has to be done first before running this, otherwise it will not recognise it.
4) The installer then works as it should (or at least as I expect it should), it allowed me to create an account, updated the firmware and synced a few new preview books.
That's it! It seemed to have worked fine, and the eReader it all updated and can connect to the wireless. Hooray!
I got a response from Kobo; they confirmed that they don't have an installer that works for Linux. I pointed out this blog post that I had written (and that there have been a few people searching for how to get Kobo working using Linux) and suggested they at least add something to their FAQ about it; they said they would escalate my suggestion to their tier2 team so hopefully it will be easier for others in the future to get started :-)